This paper presents a down conversion mixer design with high gain, low power and low noise. Here, a combination of bulk injection technique, switched biasing technique and current bleeding technique is used for this mixer design. This is simulated in cadence tool using 0.18 µm CMOS process. The bulk injection technique enhances the conversion gain of the mixer with a noisy drain current. This noise is reduced by the use of switched biasing technique with a dc level shifter. The current bleeding technique is used to reduce the effect of parasitic capacitance, which results in progress of conversion gain and also improves the mixer noise. The proposed mixer produces a simulated conversion gain of 11 dB with a noise figure (NF) of about 8.1 dB and the third order input intercept point (IIP3) of 10.8 dBm. The power consumed by the circuit is 0.5 mW from 1.8 V supply voltage.
Bulk injection, Current bleeding, DC level shifter, Gilbert mixer, Noise figure.
1. B. Leung, VLSI for Wireless Communication, 2004, Pearson Education, Singapur, Malaysia.
2. T.H. Lee, The Design of CMOS Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits, 2004, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
3. B. Gilbert, The micromixer: A highly linear variant of the Gilbert mixer using a bisymmetric class-AB input stage, 1997, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1412-1423.
4. F.C. Chang, P.C. Huang, S.F. Chao, H. Wang, A low power folded mixer for UWB system applications in 0.18 µm CMOS technology, 2007, IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 367-369.
5. J.H. Kim, H.W. An, T.Y. Yun, A low-noise WLAN mixer using switched biasing technique, 2009, IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 650-652.
6. G. Kathiresan, C. Toumazou, A low voltage bulk driven down-conversion mixer core, 1999, In Proceeding of IEEE International Circuits and Systems Symposium, Orlando, USA, vol. 2, pp. 598-601.
7. J.B. Seo, J.H. Kim, H. Sun, T.Y. Yun, A low-power and high gain mixer for UWB system, 2008, IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 803-805.
8. K.H. Liang, Y.J. Chan, H.Y. Chang, A 0.5-7.5 GHz ultra low-voltage, low-power mixer using bulk injection method by 0.18 µm CMOS technology, 2007, IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 531-533.
9. C.L. Kuo, B.J. Huang, C.C. Kuo, K.Y. Lin, H. Wang, A 10-35 GHz low power bulk driven mixer using 0.13 µm CMOS process, 2008, IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 455-457.
10. M.G. Kim, H.W. An, Y.M. Kang, J.Y. Lee, T.Y. Yun, A low-voltage, low-power, and low-noise UWB mixer using bulk injection and switched biasing technique, 2012, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 2486-2493.
11. Y.H. Chang, C.Y. Huang, Y.C. Chiang, A 24 GHz down- conversion mixer with low noise and high gain, 2012, IEEE Conferences on Microwave Integrated Circuits, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
12. G.H. Tan, R.M. Sidek, H. Ramiah, W.K. Chong, D.X. Lioe, Ultra-low-voltage CMOS-based current bleeding mixer with high LO-RF isolation, 2014, The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2014, pp. 1-5.
13. J. Park, C.H. Lee, B.S. Kim, J. Laskar, Design and analysis of low flicker-noise CMOS mixer for direct-conversion receiver, 2006, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 4372-4380.
14. K. Faitah, R. Mahmou, Design of 1.9 GHz Gilbert-cell down conversion mixer with good linearity in 0.18 µm CMOS technology, 2012, AMSE Journals, Series A, vol. 85, no. ½, pp 62-79.
15. S.S. Rout, K. Sethi, A high gain and low noise CMOS Gilbert mixer with improved linearity based on MGTR and switched biasing technique, 2017, ICTACT Journal on Microelectronics, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 311-314.
16. M.T. Terrovitis, R.G. Meyer, Noise in current-commutating CMOS mixers, 1999, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 772-783.
17. H. Darabi, J. Chiu, A noise Cancellation technique in active RF CMOS Mixers, 2005, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 2628-2632.
18. J. Chang, A.A. Abidi, C.R. Viswanathan, Flicker noise in CMOS transistors from subthreshold to strong inversion at various temperature, 1994, IEEE Transaction on Electron Devices, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1965-1971.
19. R.L. Geiger, P.E. Allen, N.R. Strader, VLSI design techniques for analog and digital circuits, 2010, Tata McGraw-Hill Edition, New York, United States.
20. Y. Tsividis, Operation and modeling of the MOS transistor, 2012, Oxford University Press, New York, United States.