Microgrid system has been modelled where, three phase inverter has been fed by a number of solar photo voltaic arrays. The output of the inverter has been connected with a three phase step-up transformer couppled with high-voltage grid bus and high-voltage load bus. Load bus line to line short circuit fault has been assessed from inverter terminal. Output currents of the inverter has been captured and analyzed. DC components and Total Harmonics Distortion of line currents have been monitored both at normal condition and fault condition. Then, wavelet decomposition is performed on line currents at different fault conditions. Detailed and approximate coefficients at different decomposition levels have been determined and nature of these coefficients have been assessed by their skewness values. Comparative study has been carried out between normal and fault conditions. Distinct features have been extracted for diagnosis of line to line fault near load end from low-voltage inverter output terminals.
Discrete wavelet transforms (DWT), Line to line fault, Skewness, Total harmonics distortion.
1. P. Duan, K. Xie, L. Zhang, X. Rong, Open-switch fault diagnosis and system reconfiguration of doubly fed wind power converter used in a microgrid, 2010, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 816-821.
2. A. Maqsood, K.A. Corzine, Integration of z-source breakers into zonal DC Ship power system microgrids, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 2016, Vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 269-277.
3. Y. Wang, Y. Huang, X. Zeng, G. Wei, J. Zhou, Faulty feeder detection of single phase-earth fault using grey relation degree in resonant grounding system, 2016, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 55-61.
A. G.S.R. Mohanty, J.C. Mohanta, Microgrid protection using Hilbert–Huang transform based-differential scheme, 2016, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 10, no. 15, pp. 3707-3716.
4. J. Poon, P. Jain, I.C. Konstantakopoulos, C. Spanos, S.K. Panda, S.R. Sanders, Model-based fault detection and identification for switching power converters, 2016, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 1419-1430.
5. V. Gnana Swathika, S. Hemamalini, Prims-aided dijkstra algorithm for adaptive protection in microgrids, 2016, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1279-1286.
6. M. Farhadi, O.A. Mohammed, A new protection scheme for multi-bus dc power systems using an event classification approach, 2016, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 2834-2842.
7. L. de Marchi Pintos, M. Moreto, J.G. Rolim, Applicability analysis of directional overcurrent relay without voltage reference in microgrids, 2016, IEEE Latin America Transactions, Vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 687-693.
8. C. Chen, W. Wu, B. Zhang, C. Singh, An analytical adequacy evaluation method for distribution networks considering protection strategies and distributed generators, 2014, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 1392-1400.
9. M.S. Manikandan, S.R. Samantaray, I. Kamwa, Detection and classification of power quality disturbances using sparse signal decomposition on hybrid dictionaries, 2014, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 27-38.
10. Y. Liu, H. Xin, Z. Wang, T. Yang, Power control strategy for photovoltaic system based on the Newton quadratic interpolation, 2014, IET Renewable Power Generation, Vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 611-620.
11. S.A. Saleh, Signature-coordinated digital multirelay protection for microgrid systems, 2013, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 4614-4623.
12. S. Kar, S.R. Samantaray, Time-frequency transform-based differential scheme for microgrid protection, 2014, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 310-320.
13. A.K. Alaboudy, H. Zeineldin, J. Kirtley, Simple control strategy for inverter-based distributed generator to enhance microgrid stability in the presence of induction motor loads, 2013, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 1155-1162.
14. Y.A-R.I. Mohamed, H.H. Zeineldin, M.M.A. Salama, R. Seethapathy, Seamless formation and robust control of distributed generation microgrids via direct voltage control and optimized dynamic power sharing, 2011, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1283-1294.
15. J.H. Teng, Unsymmetrical short-circuit fault analysis for weakly meshed distribution systems, 2009, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 96-105.
16. M.A. Mirzai, A.A. Afzalian, A novel fault-locator system; algorithm, principle and practical implementation, 2009, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 35-46.
17. J.U. Lim, T. Runolfsson, Improvement of the voltage difference method to detect arcing faults within unfused grounded-wye 22.9-kV shunt capacitor bank, 2006, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 95-100.
18. S. Chattopadhyay, S. Karmakar, M. Mitra, S. Sengupta, Loss of phase fault detection of an induction motor, 2011, AMSE Journal Series: Modelling A, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 18-34.
19. S. Chattopadhyay, S. Karmakar, M. Mitra, S. Sengupta, Radar analysis of stator current concordia for diagnosis of unbalance in mass and cracks in rotor bar of a squirrel cage induction motor, 2012, AMSE Journals, Series: Modelling A, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 50-61.
20. Chattopadhyaya, S. Chattopadhyay, J.N. Bera, S. Sengupta, Wavelet decomposition-based skewness and kurtosis analysis for assessment of stator current harmonics in a PWM – fed induction motor drive during single phasing condition, 2016, AMSE Journals-2016- Series: Modelling C, Vol. 77, No. 1, pp 28-40.
21. T. Suman, O.P. Mahela, S.R. Ola, Detection of transmission line faults in the presence of solar PV generation using discrete wavelet, 2016, IEEE 7th Power India International Conference (PIICON), Bikaner, India.
22. M. Davarifar; A. Rabhi, A. Hajjaji, E. Kamal, Z. Daneshifar, Partial shading fault diagnosis in PV system with discrete wavelet transform (DWT), 2014, International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Application (ICRERA), Milwaukee, WI, USA
23. T.M. Cesar, S.P. Pimentel, E.G. Marra, B.P. Alvarenga, Wavelet transform analysis for grid-connected photovoltaic systems, 2017, 6th International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP), Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy.