Study on Microstructure and Properties of Al2O3/(W,Ti)C Self-Lubricating Tool Material with the Addition of Al(OH)3 Coated
Al(OH)3 coated CaF2 powders were prepared by liquid phase coating method with heterogeneous nucleation principle. Al2O3/(W,Ti)C self-lubricating tool material was prepared with the addition of the Al(OH)3 coated CaF2 powders. The mechanical properties of self-lubricating tool materials with different contents of the coated powders were investigated. The results indicate that the best mechanical properties of the tool material were obtained when the volume content of Al(OH)3 coated CaF2 was 10%. Compared to its counterpart tool material with uncoated powders, hardness, fracture toughness and flexural strength were increased by 21.7%, 8% and 10.7% respectively. Scanning electron microscope (SEM) was used to observe and analyze the microstructure of tool materials. The result shows that mixed intergranular fracture and transgranular fracture is fracture modes of the tool materials. The cutting tests were carried out using the prepared ceramic cutting tools, which show good wear resistance and antifriction property.
Heterogeneous nucleation, Self-lubricating tool, Microstructure, Mechanical properties, Cutting performance.
1. L.F. Qin, T. Sun, Research and application progresses of dry cutting technology, 2013, Modular Machine Tool & Automatic Manufacturing Technique, vol. 4, pp. 9-12.
2. O.M.M. Silva, J.V.C. Souza, M.D.C.D.A. Nono, et al., Development of ceramic cutting tools for future application on dry machining, 2010, Materials Science Forum, vol. 10, pp. 724-729.
3. C. Xu, Graphitization of diamond powders under hot pressing conditions and the fabrication of toughened ceramics, 2005, AMSE Journals, Modelling A, vol. 78, no. 1-2, pp. 1-10.
4. T. Cao, J. Deng, Self-lubricating mechanism of a self-lubricating ceramic cutting tool, 2006, Kuei Suan Jen Hsueh Pao Journal of the Chinese Ceramic Society, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 1232-1237, 2006
5. J.X. Deng, T.K. Cao, X. Ai, Friction reducing mechanisms of Al2O3/TiC/CaF2 self-lubricating ceramic tools in machining processes, 2006, Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 109-113.
6. K. Zhuang, D. Zhu, X. Zhang, et al., Notch wear prediction model in turning of Inconel 718 with ceramic tools considering the influence of work hardened layer, 2014, Wear, vol. 313, no. 1-2, pp. 63-74.
7. H.A. Rashkis, S.R. Rashkis, Development and performance evaluation of self-lubricating drill tools, 2015, ARCHIVE Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part J Journal of Engineering Tribology, vol. 229, no. 12, pp. 1289-1291.
8. G.Y. Wu, C.H. Xu, G.C. Xiao, et al., “Self-lubricating ceramic cutting tool material with the addition of nickel coated CaF2 solid lubricant powders, 2016, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, vol. 56, pp. 51-58.
9. Z.Q. Chen, C.H. Xu, H. Chen, et al., The influence of process parameters on the preparation of CaF2@Al(OH)3 composite powder via heterogeneous nucleation, 2015, International Journal of Material Research, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 88-191.
10. H. Yan, J. Zhang, P. Zhang, et al, Laser cladding of Co-based alloy/TiC/CaF2, self-lubricating composite coatings on copper for continuous casting mold, 2013, Surface & Coatings Technology, vol. 232, no. 1, pp. 362-369.
11. R.K. Pandey, M. Kumar, S.A. Khan, et al., Study of electronic sputtering of CaF2, thin films, 2014, Applied Surface Science, vol. 289, no. 2, pp. 77-80.
12. S.J. Shi, J.P. Tu, Y.J. Mai, et al., Structure and electrochemical performance of CaF2 coated LiMn1/3Ni1/3Co1/3O2 cathode material for Li-ion batteries, 2012, Electrochimica Acta, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 105-112.
13. H. Chen, C. Xu, G. Xiao, et al., Investigation of Al2O3/TiC ceramic cutting tool materials with the addition of SiC-coated h-BN: preparation, mechanical properties, microstructure and wear resistance, 2016, International Journal of Materials Research, vol. 107, no. 8.