In this paper reflectivity spectra of fiber Bragg grating structure for different appodization techniques are computed and plotted as a function of operating wavelength with 1.55nm central value. Computation is made using coupled mode approach and variation of index change is considered as the turning parameter along with grating length. Result is compared with that obtained in absence of appodization thus variation of bandwidth due to deformation in wave shape is investigated. Simulated results are critically important for calculating reflectivity for practical application.
apodization, gaussian, raised-cosine, hyperbolic-tangent, reflectivity, fiber bragg grating
1. S.Wakabayashi, A. Baba, A. Itou, J. Adachi, Design and fabrication of an apodization profile in linearly chirped fiber bragg gratings for wideband>35 nm and compact tunable dispersion compensator, 2008, Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 210-217.
2. S.P. Ugale, V. Mishra, Optimization of fibre bragg grating length for maximum reflectivity, 2011, IEEE International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing, pp. 28-32.
3. T. Erdogan, Fiber grating spectra, 1997, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1277-1294.
4. L. Bo, S.C. Tjin, H. Zhang, D. Tang, Liang, S. Hao, B. Dong, Inverse-Gaussian apodized fiber Bragg grating for microwave generation, 2010, Photonics Global Conference, pp. 1-3.
5. S.S.A. Khan, Md. S. Islam, Determination of the best apodization function and grating length of linearly chirped fiber Bragg grating for dispersion compensation, 2012, Journal of Communications, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 840-846.
6. Y.T. Aladadi, A.F. Abas, M.T.Alresheedi, Optimum apodization profile for chirped fiber Bragg gratings based chromatic dispersion compensator, 2016, Journal of the European Optical Society-Rapid Publications, pp. 1-5.
7. I. Navruz, N.F. Guler, A Novel Technique for optical dense comb filters using sampled fiber Bragg gratings, 2008, Optical Fiber Technology, vol. 14, pp. 114-118.
8. J.A.R. Williams, Fiber dispersion compensation using a chirped in fiber Bragg grating, 1994, Electron. Letters, vol. 30, pp. 985-987.
9. J.L. Rebola, A.V.T. Cartazo, Performance optimization of gaussian apodized fiber bragg grating filters in WDM systems, 2002, Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 20, pp. 1537-1544.
10. J.T. Kim, S.W. Jung, S.H. Ahn, C.G. Choi, M.U. Jeong, A reflective curved mirror with low coupling loss for optical interconnection, 2004, IEEE Phot. Technol. Lett., vol. 16, pp. 185-187.
11. I. Ashry, H.M.H. Shalaby, All-optical variable delay buffer for next generation optical networks, 2010, Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Transparent Optical Network, Munich, pp. 1-3.
12. T. Zhang, K. Lu, J.P. Jue, Shared fiber delay line buffers in asynchronous optical packet switching, 2006, IEEE J. on Selected Area in Commun., vol. 24, pp. 118-127.
13. I. Ashry, H.M.H. Shalaby, Tunable Fabry-Perot interferometer based on fiber Bragg gratings, 2010, Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Telecommunications (ICT), Doha, pp. 543–537. DOI: 10.1109/ICTEL.2010.5478865
14. N.A. Mohammed, T.A. Ali, M.H. Aly, Evaluation and performance enhancement for accurate FBG temperature sensor measurement with different apodization profiles in single and quasi-distributed DWDM systems, 2014, Opt. and lasers in Engineering, vol. 58, pp. 22–34.
15. F. Chaoui, O. Aghzout, M. Chakkour, M.E. Yakhloufi, Apodization optimization of FBG strain sensor for quasi-distributed sensing measurement applications, 2016, Hindawi Publishing Corporation Active and Passive Electronic Components, Article ID 6523046, 8 pages.