This paper proposes a fault tolerant control (FTC) for double star induction machine (DSIM) of 4.5 kW under open-phase fault (OPF) within the first stator. The DSIM is fed by two three-phase voltage source inverters (VSI) using pulse width modulation (PWM) control strategies. This FTC is based on backstepping control (BSC) without needing an additional hardware. The proposed control design is based on Lyapunov stability theory and using an estimator of rotor flux. A comparative study is made between the proposed FTC and rotor field oriented control (RFOC) based on regulators proportional-integral (PI). Simulation results via Matlab/Simulink are presented to compare the performance of the system using these two control scheme. Obtained results show that the backstepping FTC has a fast dynamic, better tracking performance and better robustness against the OPF.
Double Star Induction Machine, Backstepping Control, Open-Phase Fault, Rotor Field Oriented Control.
1. S. Belhamdi and A. Goléa, Sliding Mode Control of Asynchronous Machine Presenting Defective Rotor Bars, AMSE Journals, Series Advances C, vol. 66, no. 1/2, pp. 39-49, 2011.
2. S. Belhamdi and A. Goléa, Fuzzy logic Control of Asynchronous Machine Presenting Defective Rotor Bars, AMSE Journals, Series Advances C, vol. 68, no. 1/2, pp. 54-63, 2013.
3. S. Belhamdi and A. Goléa, Direct Torque Control for Induction Motor with broken bars using Fuzzy Logic Type-2, AMSE Journals, Series Advances C, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 15-28, 2015.
4. I. Kortas, A. Sakly and M. F. Mimouni, Optimal vector control to a double-star induction motor, Energy, vol. 131, pp. 279-288, 2017.
5. T. Ameid, A. Menacer, H. Talhaoui, I. Harzelli and A. Ammar, Backstepping control for induction motor drive using reduced model in healthy state: Simulation and experimental study, 2017 6th International Conference on Systems and Control (ICSC), Batna, Algeria, May 2017, Proc. pp 162-167.
6. H. Echeikh, R. Trabelsi, A. Iqbal, N. Bianchi and M. F. Mimouni, Comparative study between the rotor flux oriented control and non-linear backstepping control of a five-phase induction motor drive–an experimental validation, IET Power Electronics, vol. 9, no. 13, pp. 2510-2521, 2016.
7. H. Echeikh, R. Trabelsi, A. Iqbal, N. Bianchi and M. F. Mimouni, Non-linear backstepping control of five-phase IM drive at low speed conditions–experimental implementation, ISA transactions, vol. 65, pp. 244-253, 2016.
8. S. M. J. R. Fatemi, N. R. Abjadi, J. Soltani and S. Abazari, Speed sensorless control of a six-phase induction motor drive using backstepping control, IET Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 114-123, 2014.
9. M. Bermúdez, H. Guzmán, I. González-Prieto, F. Barrero, M. J. Durán and X. Kestelyn, Comparative study of DTC and RFOC methods for the open-phase fault operation of a 5-phase induction motor drive, IECON 2015 - 41st Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Yokohama, Japan, November 2015, Proc. pp 002702-002707.
10. M. Bermúdez, I. González-Prieto, F. Barrero, H. Guzman, X. Kestelyn and M. Duran, An Experimental Assessment of Open-Phase Fault-Tolerant Virtual Vector Based Direct Torque Control in Five-Phase Induction Motor Drives, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, vol. PP, no. 99 , pp. 1-1, 2017.
11. M. J. Duran, I. Gonzalez-Prieto, N. Rios-Garcia and F. Barrero, A Simple, Fast and Robust Open-phase Fault Detection Technique for Six-phase Induction Motor Drives, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, vol. 33, no. 1 , pp. 547-557, 2018.
12. H. Rahali, S. Zeghlache and L. Benalia, Adaptive Field-Oriented Control Using Supervisory Type-2 Fuzzy Control for Dual Star Induction Machine, International Journal of Intelligent Engineering and Systems, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 28-40, 2017.
13. A. Meroufel, S. Massoum, A. Bentaallah, P. Wira, F. Z. Belaimeche and A. Masssoum, double star induction motor direct torque control with fuzzy sliding mode speed controller, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.–Électrotechn. et Énerg., vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 26-35, 2017.
14. Z. Tir, Y. Soufi, M. N. Hashemnia, O. P. Malik and K. Marouani, Fuzzy logic field oriented control of double star induction motor drive, Electrical Engineering, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 495-503, 2017.
15. S. Lekhchine, T. Bahi and Y. Soufi, Indirect rotor field oriented control based on fuzzy logic controlled double star induction machine, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 57, pp. 206-211, 2014.